Chapter 53: Full Metal Jacket

December 16, 2010 • Written by Christina Berry

So there we were, lolligaggin and dilly dallyin’ or rather working our asses off on the roof when word came down at Errek’s work — there would be overtime. (Insert dramatic chipmunk here.) This was not just any ordinary overtime. Oh no. For the next 5 weeks Errek would be required to work mandatory 10-16 hour days, seven days a week. Yes, you read that right, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK! Suddenly Errek’s nights and weekends (aka construction progress time) were taken away. Sure, the money was good, but…uh…yeah…WE ARE LIVING UNDER A TARP!

Long story short, we needed to make progress fast, real fast.

What had been a multi-week timeline, was squished down into just one weekend. Whatever we didn’t get done, we’d pay for.

So Errek set off straight away to cutting all the rafters so they could have the fly rafters and cedar end caps (I don’t know if that’s the name, I just made it up, I think) added to the end.

It was sooooooooooooooo windy that day. By the way, wind is a special experience when your roof is a tarp.

Anyway, to our good fortune, we were able to get Rodney to come out that weekend and help both Saturday and Sunday with getting up the eaves. So incredibly helpful. What this entailed was putting a 2×8 stud along the ends of all the rafters, and over that a 1×10 cedar board as fascia. Soooo pretty.

By the way, this cedar fascia is the first thing we’ve put on the house that will actually be a visible element in the finished house. How exciting.

Oh right, no time for exciting. Work! Work Work!

Uh Rodney, that is scaring the crap out of me. Please don’t fall.

And there it was. As the sun set on Sunday night, those two had managed to get the house completely deck-ready. My heroes.

The next day we finally got our space waterproofed. The roofers sent out a crew to lay the decking and cover it with peal and stick waterproofer. Errek was irritated because the crew made some mistakes. He’d really wanted to deck it himself, but alas there was no time. So instead he micromanaged them a lot and finally got what he wanted…mostly.

For me, however, it was like a weight off my chest. It was an incredible feeling, not having to listen to a tarp bellow in the slightest breeze, not having to worry that little raccoon claws were nightly poking holes into the only thing protecting us from further destruction.

But we weren’t finished quite yet. There was still another step before the final, metal roof could go on. We had to put a drip edge up on the fascia and siding up on the walls where the roof and walls meet. So we had to fit this in after Errek would get off work every night at 5:30 or 7:30 (depending on the shift length) and be finished by 10 when it’s really rude to make loud sawing noises.

For the drip edge. Errek and I bought cedar in 1×4 strips and cut them in half so we’d have a 1×2 drip edge. We then painted them with Kilz primer, because this wood would be under the metal and unable to paint later on.

Then, to my great surprise, Errek’s friend and co-worker Rodney Jr., son of Rodney Sr., who was also working crazy overtime, generously gave up one of his evenings to help us out.

Thank you so much, Rodney! You’re a great friend.

Next we put up the siding that would have flashing, and then collapsed into bed, ready for what was coming the next day — the roof!!!!!

Full Metal Jacket, baby!

So now you’re thinking, oh cool, they’re finally done and can come to my parties again. Eh…not so fast, there’s this other big thing weighing on us — E.A.S.T.

We got the roof on just a few days before the E.A.S.T. tour was set to start, and we had one MAJOR safety issue we had to fix before we could invite art lovers to come into our house for the tour — the porch.

As you may remember, at this time we had a “temp porch.”

Well this was entirely not safe, so it had to go, and we needed a new, real, grown-up sized porch. So, we tore it up.

Then we used a couple of handheld grinders to remove all the rust from the underlying steel.

*cough cough* Think I got the black lung, pop.

After a good shower, we painted the steel with Rustoleum primer and then the Battleship Gray paint.

Look at that sexy, sexy steel.

Next up, Errek had to cut away part of the wall to make room for our new wooden porch height.

And then it was just a matter of putting up the joists. Gotta tell ya, we’re big fans of working at ground level.

Because of Errek’s crazy overtime schedule, we were working on this porch every night, for just a couple of hours, up until the night before E.A.S.T. when my mom and dad arrived to help, and feature their art on the tour the next morning.

Dad helped Errek. Mom and I chilled on the couch, which was on the porch as it was being constructed. Fun!

And so it was, that E.A.S.T. number four came to be a reality. A wonderful, wonderful reality.